Thursday, May 25, 2006

Waveforms

I've always been convinced that trees are interesting because they seem to be a collection of smaller trees, made up of smaller trees. Once, while in the Netherlands, sitting amongst a few trees and thinking about symmetry, I was enjoying the idea that tree roots are upside down tree branches, made up of more upside down tree branches. This is what I like about trees...they seem to grow out at you from every possible direction. With these ideas in mind, I have spent many hours doodling waveforms that capture some notion of tree-like structure. Although I have little technical proficiency in drawing, it seems that I can sometimes get around this problem by making drawings that have all kinds of redundant patterns. This way, replicating a bunch of incoherent patterns across a variety of scales may provide an illusion of coherency. For example, this waveform picture is made up of a bunch of leaf-like patterns, which are in turn made up of sine-like waves increasing in frequency as they move away from the centre of each leaf.

No comments: