Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dream Master

I don't often have an image in mind when I get down to painting something. Usually, I am content to watch the colours appear on the canvas in whichever way seems most interesting at the time. However, this painting, which I usually call 'Dr.Zeuss land' was a preconceived notion. The image came to me one night during a dream. Just before going to bed I was thinking about dreaming, and struggling to understand the means by which I typically enter my dreamland. I was standing just outside my closed bedroom door, and I decided to make a proclamation, "I am the dream master". Then I opened the door, went to sleep, and started to float around Dr.Zeuss Land. When I woke up, I drew the image on a canvas, and then with my wobbly hands painted what remained. The image has no special significance for me, it was only an unusually clear vision that was easily preserved. Since then, I have tried controlling my dreams by calling myself the dream master. I have found little success in this approach, and now prefer the intangible falling part of going to sleep.

No comments: